HomeOur LifeOur MissionOur SpiritualityOur CommunitiesProjects & CampaignsNews & UpdatesChat Box
We Share Our Story

For more than 200 years, the flame of Charity that burns and spreads in the mission of the Canossian Daughters of Charity, Servants of the Poor has continued to embrace all.


It started with Love kindled in the heart of St. Magdalene of Canossa for Jesus Christ Crucified and Mary, Mother of Love. Strengthened by the Spirit, she left her palace to found the Institute for the poor abandoned children and youth in her city, Verona, Italy on May 8, 1808. Responding to the calls for works of Charity, she established with her companions foundations in Venice, Milan, Bergamo and Trent. Their works of charity expressed the yearnings of Magdalene’s heart.


On February 27, 1860, six Canossian Sisters from Venice and Padua began their journey to Hong Kong arriving there on April 12, 1860. From this Canossian Mission were born “other missions” in Asia and the Pacific, including the foundation in the Philippines.


By June 12, 1954, Canossa School of Sta. Rosa, Laguna was opened with 133 students. The first community was composed of Mo. Anna Bautista, Filipina missionary in Hong Kong then 80 years old, Mo. Carolina Colombo, Mo. Mirriam Tavechio, Mo. Zita Beretta, Mo. Cecilia Pereira and Mo. Teresita Cantu.


The hopes and dreams of the pioneering missionary sisters had not been in vain. The same sap that flows from the same tree flows to the branches. The Sacred Heart Province having received the same sap yields abundant fruits. From the first community in Sta. Rosa Laguna, the Canossian Sisters’ presence spread in Laguna to Batangas, Cavite, Metro Manila, Nueva Ecija, Ifugao, Bohol, Cagayan de Oro, Bukidnon and even to Oceania in Papua New Guinea.